Welcome to Dropping BallAst.
I am a Physics graduate student at the University of Toronto, in the Balloon Astrophysics group. This site is to showcase the photographs taken by my lab mates and I of our work and travels.
- The first “adventure” was initial integration of Spider and BLAST-Pol at home in Toronto.
- The first adventurous adventure: MRR (Mission Readiness Review) for BLAST-Pol in Palestine, TX.
- Following on the heels of MRR, Blast-Pol’s LDB (Long Duration Balloon) Antarctic Campaign
- While in McMurdo with BLAST-Pol, I talked my way into a brief visit to work on the Keck Array (formerly SPUD) at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station
- Due to problems with the 2010 data, BLAST-Pol flies again in 2012. This means a return to Palestine, TX for an MRR campaign
- Followed, naturally, by another LDB campaign, at McMurdo Station, Antarctica
- At long last, and on a new note, Spider has deployed to the field. As before, this starts with a mission readiness campaign in Palestine, TX
Stay tuned for more adventures. You can also read more, if you’d like.